Template: Checking Account Register for Apple iWorks Numbers ’08

by Michael on August 23, 2007

Checking Account Register

By request. This is a simple spreadsheet to keep a record of your checking account transactions

Usage:

• Enter a beginning balance, and date, in the upper right hand corner of the sheet.
  • Enter transactions as they occur, the running balance will be calculated for you.
  • Check the check box for the transactions as they clear the bank.

You may want to keep a different sheet for each month. Otherwise, when you reach the bottom, add more rows, and copy the formulas down.

Download Check Account Register Template

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Jared August 24, 2007 at 1:31 pm

Cool, thanks for this!

Do you know if there’s a relatively easy way to build on this? I keep a very basic ledger of business income and expenses in separate tables, it would be handy to have that information automatically flow into a check register like this one.

Michael August 24, 2007 at 6:17 pm

Jared,

I think you could do something like that fairly easily, but you may consider going at it from the other direction.

If I were going to tackle it, I would add an extra column in the register for income/expense type. Then, in my income statement I would use the SUMIF() function, along with the OFFSET() function to total my stuff automatically by category.

Good luck!

- Michael

loki September 4, 2007 at 11:36 am

I’m fairly new to spreadsheet use. But I really like the idea of being able to track my expenses like this. How difficult would it be for me to create a drop down column (eg., Food, Entertainment, Gas, Bills, etc…) for this register and have a second table add up all of the expenses for a given type of expense?

Michael September 6, 2007 at 3:11 pm

Loki,

I think your idea would be fairly easy to implement. You add a column for expense type. Then, in another table, use the sumif() function to total your expenses by type.

- Michael

Not So Good with Numbers September 7, 2007 at 3:17 pm

Could you post a solution for tracking mileage for business reimbursement? I’ve seen the gas mileage sheets, but they don’t include (miles) * (IRS allowed rate for mileage) = total.

Sorry I’m an extreme novice with calculations, and even Numbers, simple as it is, is a bit overwhelming.

Thanks.

Darrin November 8, 2007 at 9:02 pm

Thank you for taking the time to create this. Very nice. Im new to spreadsheets and wondering where I would go to learnhow to do something like this myself. As of right now there arent a whole lot of tutorials on numbers.app.

Michael November 11, 2007 at 7:42 pm

Darrin,

Check out our forums, and of course keep reading this site!

- Michael

JeremyC March 8, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Does anyone know of a way to add split transactions to a register like this to account for multiple categories?

Gio January 10, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Can you please explain how to extend the functionality of the spreasdheet beyond the rows that are already part of the template? In other words, I have reached the end of the template and I don’t seem to be able to add additional working rows. i tried to poush “add additional row”, but this does not carry with it the calculating formulas.

Thank you for your help!

Gary Allen March 12, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I dl your check registry and works great. How can I make a pie chart at the bottom of this template that gives per cent of different bills? Thanks

quan trang October 10, 2009 at 11:30 pm

I’m new with “numbers” and find “register” very helpful, I have same question with Gio…how do I continue on with the spreadsheet and still keep the function of the register?

quan trang October 10, 2009 at 11:55 pm

thanks…….i figured it out

Placebo November 7, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Michael -
I’m hoping you’re still checking this string. I found a link on the numbers blog spot that showed this template having a budget implemented into it, but it was removed from download.

Is that your template? Do you know where we cold find “the” template, or a template that has both checking registry and budget combined? The template we were looking for is named, “Numbers ’08 – Checkbook Register Template”

Michael December 1, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Sorry, the combo template you were reffering to is not mine.

Here is a budget template.

I don’t have any plans currently to build a combo.