Template: Checking Account Register for Apple iWorks Numbers ’08

by Michael on August 23, 2007

Checking Account Register

By request. This is a simple spreadsheet to keep a record of your checking account transactions

Usage:

• Enter a beginning balance, and date, in the upper right hand corner of the sheet.
  • Enter transactions as they occur, the running balance will be calculated for you.
  • Check the check box for the transactions as they clear the bank.

You may want to keep a different sheet for each month. Otherwise, when you reach the bottom, add more rows, and copy the formulas down.

Download Check Account Register Template

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Jared August 24, 2007 at 1:31 pm

Cool, thanks for this!

Do you know if there’s a relatively easy way to build on this? I keep a very basic ledger of business income and expenses in separate tables, it would be handy to have that information automatically flow into a check register like this one.

Michael August 24, 2007 at 6:17 pm

Jared,

I think you could do something like that fairly easily, but you may consider going at it from the other direction.

If I were going to tackle it, I would add an extra column in the register for income/expense type. Then, in my income statement I would use the SUMIF() function, along with the OFFSET() function to total my stuff automatically by category.

Good luck!

– Michael

loki September 4, 2007 at 11:36 am

I’m fairly new to spreadsheet use. But I really like the idea of being able to track my expenses like this. How difficult would it be for me to create a drop down column (eg., Food, Entertainment, Gas, Bills, etc…) for this register and have a second table add up all of the expenses for a given type of expense?

Michael September 6, 2007 at 3:11 pm

Loki,

I think your idea would be fairly easy to implement. You add a column for expense type. Then, in another table, use the sumif() function to total your expenses by type.

– Michael

Not So Good with Numbers September 7, 2007 at 3:17 pm

Could you post a solution for tracking mileage for business reimbursement? I’ve seen the gas mileage sheets, but they don’t include (miles) * (IRS allowed rate for mileage) = total.

Sorry I’m an extreme novice with calculations, and even Numbers, simple as it is, is a bit overwhelming.

Thanks.

Darrin November 8, 2007 at 9:02 pm

Thank you for taking the time to create this. Very nice. Im new to spreadsheets and wondering where I would go to learnhow to do something like this myself. As of right now there arent a whole lot of tutorials on numbers.app.

Michael November 11, 2007 at 7:42 pm

Darrin,

Check out our forums, and of course keep reading this site!

– Michael

JeremyC March 8, 2008 at 4:46 pm

Does anyone know of a way to add split transactions to a register like this to account for multiple categories?

Gio January 10, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Can you please explain how to extend the functionality of the spreasdheet beyond the rows that are already part of the template? In other words, I have reached the end of the template and I don’t seem to be able to add additional working rows. i tried to poush “add additional row”, but this does not carry with it the calculating formulas.

Thank you for your help!

Gary Allen March 12, 2009 at 10:02 pm

I dl your check registry and works great. How can I make a pie chart at the bottom of this template that gives per cent of different bills? Thanks

quan trang October 10, 2009 at 11:30 pm

I’m new with “numbers” and find “register” very helpful, I have same question with Gio…how do I continue on with the spreadsheet and still keep the function of the register?

quan trang October 10, 2009 at 11:55 pm

thanks…….i figured it out

Karen March 16, 2014 at 7:03 am

I have attempted to download this and it will not add to Number ’09. It says the template is too old. Is there an updated template for my numbers?

April April 3, 2014 at 1:49 pm

Thanks so much! I have been using this template for a couple of years and found it invaluable! I came back to bookmark this page. 😀